Help us Buy the Historic Patchett House!
In June of 2018 we launched a Capital Campaign to raise money to purchase the Patchett House, which we are currently renting, and to make it our permanent home.
Wallkill River School is a nonprofit arts organization that has been in business since 2004, and has occupied the Patchett House in Montgomery since 2008. We are realizing our long-term plan by positioning the organization to last indefinitely and be a resource for new artists and cultural events in our region.
The building is a two-story, historic house with offices upstairs, galleries and classroom downstairs, and a renovated carriage house in back.
If the nonprofit owns the building, it can offset operational costs through rental income. This will allow the school/gallery to afford more competitive staff salaries and to maintain the historic building the way it deserves to be maintained and appreciated.
Wallkill River School of Art board of directors has resolved to purchase the Patchett House, our long-term home, from Devitt Management by 2020. We are engaging in a capital campaign to raise $250,000 in two years. This amount will be combined with a mortgage for $250,000, plus a tax credit for a $300,000 donation to equal the appraised value of Patchett House, plus the carriage house and connecting yard.
How We Plan to Raise the Funds:
We’ve identified the following sources for contributions and micro fundraisers:
- Patrons: Patrons from our Patron Board will be asked to host a cocktail party with close friends to pitch support of our capital campaign.
- Elected Officials: Private meetings will be set with elected officials to discuss capital campaign and request for help identifying funding sources, getting letters of recommendation for grants, and endorsements with key donors.
- Grassroots Campaign: Local families can purchase a part of the building in a long-term donor relationship (eg: “buy a brick for $20, buy a shutter for $100…buy a room for $5000, buy a roof for $10,000, etc). This campaign will particularly appeal to multi-generational Montgomery families who want to be part of the legacy.
- Enlist Help: We will enlist the help of community clubs and larger businesses, to help us with larger fundraisers with a goal of raising $10K per event.
- We are offering 50 paintings for $500 each as a donation to help kick off the capital campaign.
How You Can Help Make a Donation
Host a house party with 6 or more friends that may be interested in donating to the Wallkill River School. WRS will send a representative to do a presentation, or a Sip and Paint instructor to host a painting party and make a pitch to your guests.
- Host a micro-fundraiser- help us with your own idea for a fundraiser!
- Join our Capital Campaign committee and help us raise funds for the building.
- Volunteer to help out with our fundraisers we could always use an extra pair of hands!
Levels of Support:
$1000-your choice of a window or a stair named in your honor with your name engraved on a plaque.
$1500-vestibule door with your name engraved on a plaque in your honor.
$2000-attic door with your name engraved on a plaque in your honor.
$2500-bathroom with your name engraved on a plaque in your honor.
$3000-pocket door in main gallery with your name engraved on a plaque in your honor.
$4000-basement or outhouse with your name engraved on a plaque in your honor.
$5000-fireplace with your name engraved on a plaque in your honor, or a family portrait painted by Wallkill River School founder Shawn Dell Joyce.
$10,000-Hall gallery with your name engraved on a plaque in your honor.
$15,000-Upstairs room with your name engraved on a plaque in your honor.
$20,000-Exterior door with your name engraved on a plaque in your honor.
$25,000-Sunroom with your name engraved on a plaque in your honor.
$30,000-Gallery with your name engraved on a plaque in your honor.
How to Make a Donation:
Please note that your charitable contribution can be paid out over two or three years, and/or deducted on a monthly basis. Checks can be made out to us at the Community Foundation of Orange and Sullivan as follows: CFOS/Wallkill River School.
Make single or recurring payments through PayPal or with a credit card: Donate Now!
Set up automatic withdrawals from your checking: Wallkill River Art School ACH Debit Authorization